Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Running Like Forrest Gump

I recently started running (nearly) every morning, and it is awful. If it were possible to un-invent anything I would nominate running (and maybe push-ups too). No one should have to force such horrible hardships upon their bodies. My dad was a runner, a really good runner, but I did not inherit the running loving genes from him; in fact I don't think that I have any type of running genes in me because I run like the younger Forrest Gump.

If you have not seen the movie, the main character is a renown runner, and his skills create many amazing opportunities for him; however, Forrest Gump was not always a fast runner, and a good portion of his childhood was spent in leg braces. These leg braces were interesting contraptions of metal and leather bolted together, reaching from Gump's thighs to the heels of his boots, causing him to have a awkward gait when he walked and a very funny looking, crooked running pattern. Forrest continues to wear the braces and move gawkily until, under the pressure of the close pursuit of bullies, he is force run hard and fast; the braces, too weak to keep up with the new level of speed, fall apart and Forrest finds himself running, truly running.

This scene of Forrest discovering the talent that the braces smother is given full Hollywood movie glory; played in slow motion with triumphant, soaring music in the background, the braces buckling and then breaking, pieces flying in all directions. As soon as the braces are thrown off, Forrest if able to 'run like the wind blows'. 

While I might not have any cumbersome gadgets that I can cast off to help me run more efficiently (other than maybe a few pounds that I choose to be blissfully ignorant of), my morning runs continuously make me think of Paul's analogy in Hebrews 12. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Our spiritual race is so much easier and definitely more proficient when we strip down and throw off the things that weigh us down, even especially the worldly hindrances that we turn to for comfort. I hope that you don't suffer the way I do when you run, but whatever type of running skills you have, take heed of Paul's advice and find great joy in casting off what cripples you; running straight to Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment