Monday, November 25, 2013

It's Cold Outside

It is cold outside, really cold. I'm pretty sure that it is in the low teens, and it is one of those days that I am so immensely grateful to be inside, and that I have a place to escape the cold. I grew up in sunny California, and am not used to winters that are this cold (at least not yet), therefore I have no self control in the amount I complain to those around me about how cold I think it is. America's heartland can drop to freezing really quickly and the way the frozen wind blows you around makes you double take your actions because sometimes the degree of your friendliness matches your surroundings. Okay, that is not really true for everyone who lives out here, but I did warn you that I am really good at complaining within this category. As pathetic as this sounds, I was quite content to remain that person who focused on my discomfort in the cold, and no one really challenged me to change my mind, that is until yesterday.

Yesterday I was driving home from church and I pass a man standing on the corner of an intersection holding a sign reading 'Homeless. Merry Christmas.'  I recognized the man as I had seen him in the same spot the week before. Now, I always keep some kind of food and water-bottles in my car to give to the homeless I pass, but as I was getting ready to drive by him, I decided that instead of giving him a granola bar and a water bottle, I was going to go to the nearest Mcdonald's, get hot chocolate and something warm to eat and I was going to go and talk to him.  This decision was a little out of the ordinary for me, as I am fully aware of how potentially dangerous it is for a young lady to approach a stranger alone, but it was an extremely busy and public intersection and I wondered when was the last time someone took the time to talk to the man who so frequently appeared on that corner. So hot chocolate and cinnamon melts in hand I walked up to the stranger, praying that God would keep me safe and give me the right words to say, because I had not really thought through that part out.

David, he told me his name was David. And with a crooked tooth smile that was beautiful and full of laughter he kindly corrected me when I replied 'It's nice to meet you Jeremy!' Where in the world did I get the name Jeremy from? Well, I definitely goofed that one up, I thought to myself, but David amazingly was still willing to talk to me. He told me that like me, he had spent a good portion of his life in California and that he had come out to Missouri to be close to family. He excitedly shared with me his story of helping build a steel-something highway/track thing-a-ma-jig that can be seen in the movie The Terminator 2. And when I asked him how did he stand the cold after leaving California (my toes were numb at this point in the conversation) he told me that God made both hot and cold and he thanked Him for both-that he was just thankful that he could feel the cold. I'm not sure if it was the icy wind or the reminder of how blessed I am, but I almost cried. David then told me that he had a camp set up in southern Springfield and I told him that I would not survive they way he did and that his attitude amazed me. I would have stayed and talked with David longer, but he told me that my nose was turning bright red and that I should probably go and warm up. Wishing him a happy holidays, I left, questioning my own reaction to the cold.


"Give thanks in all circumstances." 1Thessalonians 5:18

All circumstances -Yup- even in the cold. 

I can't promise that I will completely stop complaining about being frozen, but I thank God for this cold. What a great reminder to count my blessings and thank God for all He has made.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment