Monday, March 3, 2014

Finishing My Sentences





My school never closes, in fact last semester I had to sleep in the school's library because I didn't feel comfortable driving in the weather conditions and knew I had to be back on campus early the next morning; but today is a snow day! For me that means lots of studying (midterms are this week) and a a little bit of playing in the snow. Of course I think that it is only fitting for me to listen to the soundtrack of Frozen while studying, don't you?       


(I must insert a spoiler alert here for those who haven't seen the movie, so if you still want to be surprised by the plot twist I won't ruin it for you.)  
                                     


My family went to see Frozen in theaters and it was the best movie theater experiences I've ever had. This was due to the audience's reaction to the moment when Prince Hans tells Anna that no one loves her, the entire theater gasped. Man Hans, you really blew it! Or did he? Didn't he fulfill all the ideals of love? He cared for Anna's people and he harmonized perfectly when singing with Anna. In the duet the two do together Hans hints that they are matched so perfectly that they can finish each others sentences (although Anna didn't really catch on). We have made the ability to predict what someone is going to say a very big deal, especially when it comes to relationships. Couples strive towards it like a goal that will confirm their compatibility. The bear truth of the matter is that a person doesn't have to be one's perfect match to take the time and effort to get to know you so well that they can guess what and how you'll respond to different things. 





Before you get mad at me for crushing your dreams, let me say that there is one who can perfectly finish our sentences. I'm not talking about someone who can make mere guesses to what you will say, but one who understands how you are feeling every single second of your life and fully knows your words before they leave your lips.

Psalms 139:4 
Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.

For a while I thought this verse meant that God controlled what I said, after all He's omnipotent, right? I thought that the psalmist was saying that because God knows exactly what I am because He set the settings of human nature and He could anticipate my choices. This is not the case, look at the verse again. You, Lord, KNOW it completely; not make it, not guess it, but know it. God can finish my sentences because He knows who I am. He loves me and knows me so deeply and completely that He doesn't just predict what I could say but He knows every little thing that is me, including the words I say.

Having someone who can finish your sandwiches is great, and having someone who can finish your sentences is even better; but having a God who knows your words, that's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment