Monday, February 9, 2015

Why I Said Goodbye to Mr. Darcy and Stopped Looking for 'The One'.

I had a milestone birthday this year. No I didn't turn 21, or even 25, I'm at that awkward in between age of 22 years of age. The reason why it was a milestone birthday for me is because the Jane Austen fan in me really wanted to have met my future husband and be able to say that 'I'm not one and twenty' or at least say that I was 'one and twenty' . And here I am, two and twenty (it just doesn't sound as nice) and I still don't have a Mr. Darcy; in fact I’ve never even dated anyone. Ever.  Perhaps it's because I'm too picky, my standards are too high.  



I’ll confess that for a really long time I had a ‘The One’ list; he needed to be taller than me, strong and athletic, preferably no facial hair and so on. I stuck with this list pretty diligently until my foolish teenage fears came to realized that most of the points on the list were physical traits and to test me, God may give me the exact opposite! Obviously that list needed to go! So I composed a new one with points such as have well grounded faith, a good work ethic, enjoys things that I enjoy. With this new list tucked into the back of my mind, I thought I was good to go, if my Mr. Darcy walked by I would be able to recognize him and turn down all other unsuitable suitors. I happily held tight to this list, mentally measuring guys until the horrible moment when I was compared to someone else’s list. It is slightly crazy how well I remember that moment and how much it hurt. I had gone out of my way to spend time with a friend before I moved to a different part of the country and while we were driving he asked me what my favorite type of music was, to which I replied that I did not have a favorite type as music was not that important to me and in most situations I rather do without it. He then said that my view of music caused me to miss the mark and lose points with him. I was shocked and hurt, because even if it was just for that moment, he did not see me as a friend who was doing my best to spend time with him and make him happy but he saw me with a checklist that I had failed.  However, what hurt more was the realization that I had been treating others the someway; looking at wonderful men that God had created as though they did not have feelings or potential outside of my list.  


Last Valentine’s Day there were several blogs giving advice to girls on the type of guy they should date, and most of them were written by guys. My friends shared quite a few of these posts and I took the time to read some of them and I just wanted to yell at the authors “STOP!”  We judge you harshly enough on our own, we do not need encouragement to follow a system where a guy’s value is contained to a checklist and a girl’s heart is thought to be only that list. We have made it entirely too easy for jerks like Willoughby and Wickham to thrive. Lists of soulmate traits teach that affections can be given and won by following lists or steps that have no need for diligent development and room for growth in the future. They creates a sad reality where we move through relationships placing value on the partner instead of the partnership.

We nurture the idea of finding our per-determind, pre-developed  soulmate; our 'One' who lines up with our checklists. Yet all of our lists may only help us find a perfect match and not a relationship. A relationship is a choice that two people make and grow and develop together, and whether or not that they started out perfect, they strive for Christ's perfection together. I have decided to abandon these lists of perfect character traits and behaviors (after all, no one is perfect) and base my standards for who I start a relationship with on a person's ability and willingness to fit a title - the title of A Heart Sharer.


A Heart Sharer is exactly what the title describers, a person who shares my heart.

He must share my heart with God.
Sharing my heart with God means much more than just accepting that God comes first in my life, but also helping me lift my heart up to the Lord in prayer (even on days that I do not want to do it myself). I need a man that will help nurture my love for God; to help me gather and explore knowledge and truth about God and store it safely in my heart.

He must share my heart's dreams and goals.
I'm not looking for someone who shares my exact dreams of becoming a missionary, doctor, writer and speaker, after all a relationship with someone with the exact same strengths and talents won't push either of us to grow. Rather, I need someone whose heart holds similar passions, so that we can make decisions that not only make us both happy but allow us to work towards God's Glory. I would never want to pull someone away from pursuing their passion and and strengthening their God given talents, and though I know that there may be a need for redefining a dream, I require the same of the man I chose to share my heart with.

He must share my heart's brokenness and burdens.
For a long time I chastised and trodded upon my own heart, thinking that I could never hope for anyone to love me if my heart was broken and imperfect; that I must fix all of my weaknesses and face all of the burdens on my heart before I could possibly share it with someone else. I laugh to think of this ideology now, because not even Christ requires His Beloved to present Him with an unbroken heart (Romans 5:8)! If I'm giving up lists to find the 'perfect' someone, I must also give up the idea that I have to be perfect too, instead I need to be willing and gracious in sharing my brokenness and allow him to help in my heart's healing [see bullet one above].


And with that I say goodbye to my Mr. Darcy and move on with my adventure! Though, I can't say that I'll stop watching Jane Austen movies.

So what do you think? Do you agree with me that 'The One' checklist may be misleading and judgmental? Let me know in the comments below!




2 comments:

  1. Love these pictures!! Where did you get the costume..so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My sister took the pictures and my grandmother made me this dress when for a high school event. I love dressing up and its fun taking pictures to post with my thoughts.

      Delete