Sunday, March 15, 2015

Redefining What a Princess Is

I went to see the newest version the timeless fairy tale of Cinderella yesterday and I have to say that I really enjoyed the movie. Of course, I have always enjoyed fairy tales and princess movies, so my review of the Cinderella would be slightly bias and thus I will avoid writing anything about the movie and encourage you to go and see it yourself. Howbiet, I am interested in discussing society's definition of what makes a princess a princess.


Disney has done a wonderful job of using its princesses to encourage girl empowerment (and consumerism). Children are taught that a princess is kind-hearted like Cinderella, brave like Mulan, compassionate like Belle, gracious like Aurora and the list goes on and on. There have been many arguments made both for and against the Disney princesses' role as a paragon for girls, and though I agree with several aspects of both sides of the dispute, I have often wondered why the question of why a princess has certain characteristics is hardly ever brought up. Why is a princess kind, gentle, courteous, courageous and brave? Is it because that is the only way she can get what she wants? Or is it because she has to hold herself to the same standards she holds Prince Charming to, lest he pass her by? Or does a princess have these traits simply because she is a princess?


I think that with all this discussion-dispute over the list of accomplishments a princess is require to have (okay, if we're honest -its a ton of pressure we heap on young girls), we have completely forgotten something thing that is part of the very core of what makes a princess a princess; the king. It is because the princess is the representative of the king that she nurtures all of these beautiful character traits within herself. It is because she knows the king so well and intimately that she understands what morals and values are important to him and need to be shared.

This type of motivation extends beyond the Disney princesses - but explains why the daughters (and sons) of the King of Kings must work hard to develop uncommon traits. Not only are we royal heirs (Rom 8:17, Galatians 4:7), but we were CHOSEN to represent the King (Eph 1:4-5, 1John 3:1). Talk about pressure! But don't worry, it is impossible to be a princess without a king, and the King has promised to help us become perfect princesses!

So whether a princess wears glass slippers and goes to lavish balls or not, she must have courage and be kind because she is the child of a courageous and kind King; don't you agree?

*Special Thanks to my wonderful sister M. who graciously donned my big poofy princess dress on a very windy day, while some of her classmates gawked.*




1 comment:

  1. I love this post! And I love that you are a princess, my sweet pea princess, one who is real & when tested will prove her place in the story.... HIStory.

    ReplyDelete